My mom makes this chicken curry that has been a family favourite for ages! It is a preparation that works as a great combination with almost any type of South Indian bread or rice preparation. I love having it with
- 1 kg Chicken curry cut,cleaned
- 3 nos Medium Onions sliced
- 2 nos Large Tomatoes chopped
- 3 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 3-4 nos Green chillies sliced
- 2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp Chilly powder
- 2 tbsp Coriander powder
- 2 tsp Garam masala
- 2 tsp Pepper powder
- 5-6 nos Curry leaves
- 3/4 cup Coconut oil for frying chicken
- 1/2 cup Coriander leaves chopped
- Water as desired for the curry
- Salt to taste
- Marinate the chicken with half the quantity of turmeric powder, chilly powder, pepper powder, and salt. Set aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan and shallow fry the chicken till golden brown on both sides. It does not need to be cooked completely. We only need good color on the chicken.
- To the remaining oil, add the sliced onions, chillies and saute for 3-4 minutes and add the ginger garlic paste. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook with the lid on for 4-5 minutes on medium heat.
- Reduce the heat, add turmeric powder, chilly powder and coriander powder and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add a little water if necessary.
- Add the fried chicken, mix everything well and add enough water for the curry. Add the curry leaves and cook the chicken for 10-12 minutes with the lid on, stirring in between.
- Correct the seasoning, finish the curry with pepper powder, garam masala, and chopped coriander leaves.
Try to add freshly ground pepper and garam masala as the flavor would be better.