There’s nothing more perfect than my mom’s recipe of a beef pickle. It is spicy, tangy and full of flavour!
That looks so delicious, right? It isn’t just the photography skills, trust me. My mom’s pickle is famous among all our friends. I mean my sisters and me. She used to send these to us throughout our college days, and fights have happened over the pickle :D! The depressing college food became hopeful with some beef pickle by the side :).
It is an amazing recipe with no preservatives or additives like in the commercially available pickles in the market. I feel they are way too sour and oily. Moreover, it does not feel like a home-made pickle, you know? There is a huge difference in that. This could be preserved for almost 2 months in the fridge, but it gets over within weeks of opening!
- 1/2 cup Coconut oil
- 2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 3/4 cup Garlic sliced
- 3 tbsp Green chillies chopped
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 3 tbsp Chilly powder
- 1 tsp Pepper powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 1 cup Boiled water
- 3 tbsp Vinegar
- 500 grams Beef tenderloin sliced into small pieces without sinew or fat.
- 1 tbsp Chilly powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- to taste Salt
For the spice paste
- 1 tbsp Ginger roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp Garlic roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup Shallots sliced
- 1 no Onion roughly sliced
- 4 nos Curry leaves
- Marinate the meat with salt, chilly powder and turmeric powder. Set aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and fry the meat pieces on high heat until they are brown. Remove and set them aside.
- To the remaining oil, add all the ingredients to make the spice paste. Saute for 3-4 minutes until soft. Drain the oil and grind the ingredients to a smooth paste.
- Heat the same pan again, splutter mustard seeds. Add fenugreek seeds, sliced garlic, chopped green chillies and curry leaves. Saute for a couple of minutes.
- Reduce the heat, add the chilly powder, pepper powder and garam masala. Saute for a couple of minutes of low heat.
- Add the spice paste, salt, fried meat pieces and hot water to this.
- Simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes. The consistency has to be thick like that of a pickle.
- Add the vinegar and check the seasoning.
- Once it has cooled down, transfer the pickle to an air-tight glass jar and store in the fridge.